Monday, February 7, 2011

Interval Running

I hated running and am not the best at it, but one summer my dad introduced me to interval running. It has been the best thing I have ever done. It burns the fat and keeps you going. One of the things I hated about running was how boring it was, but with interval running you have to keep your attention on the time and the next thing you know your run is over and you feel great. There are many different ways to do this, but here is the way I like. Start with a jog for 3 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds, and jog again for 3 minutes. Keep doing this for 20 minutes. Here is the time sequence.
Jog till 3 minutes
Sprint till 3:30
Jog till 6:30
Sprint till 7:00
Jog till 10:00
Sprint till 10:30
Jog till 13:30
Sprint till 14:00
Jog till 17:00
Sprint till 17:30
Jog till 20:30
This workout keeps your brain going and makes the time go by really quickly. At first it is not going to be easy, but you need to find the jog and sprint speed that works best for you. I just barely started doing it again and my jog and sprint speeds are way lower then what I was doing before, but it still works and makes the body feel so good. My dad had me do this all summer before I ran the half marathon. It is what got me in shape to be able to run 13.1 miles. So if you hate running then try this. It's not easy, you need to know your limits, and you might not make it the whole 20 minutes, but if you keep going then one day the 20 minutes will seem like nothing and running will be a whole new experience.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I did interval running in HS... That was when I was in my best shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to workout vicariously through your blogs!

    ReplyDelete